The Estonia Freelance Visa, also known as the D-Visa, is a type of visa that allows freelancers and self-employed individuals to legally live and work in Estonia for up to a year. This visa is aimed at digital nomads, entrepreneurs, and freelancers who want to take advantage of Estonia’s favorable business environment and its reputation as an innovative and tech-savvy country.
Determine If you qualify for Estonia Freelance Visa
To be eligible for an Estonian digital nomad visa, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Your age must be 18 years.
- You should have the flexibility to work remotely.
- You need to be associated with a company registered outside Estonia as an employee, partner, or shareholder.
- You must provide services as a freelancer or consultant to clients or companies outside of Estonia, and have a contract to prove it.
- You must demonstrate that you are indeed a digital nomad or freelancer.
- You need to show that you have financial stability with a minimum monthly salary or income of €3,500.
Documents Required for Estonia Freelance Visa
When applying for a Digital Nomad Visa, you must provide the following documents:
- Valid passport: Your passport should have a validity of at least three months beyond the intended return date, with two blank pages, and be in good condition. Also include a copy of previous visa (if any).
- Application form: Fill out the application form online, print a hard copy, and sign it at the end. Ensure that you complete the application form with all requested and truthful information. Keep in mind that any false information can result in your visa application being denied.
- Work contract: Present evidence of a legitimate work agreement with organizations or individuals located outside of Estonia.
- Letter from your employer: Submit a letter from your employer stating that you intend to work remotely.
- Bank statement: Submit a document issued from your bank in the last six months, proving that you have enough monthly income to finance yourself while staying in Estonia.
- Proof of accommodation: Submit a document proving that you have a place to stay while in Estonia.
- Criminal record: Submit a document issued by the police of your home country, proving that you do not have any criminal record in your home country and that you will not be a threat to the Republic of Estonia.
- Proof of health insurance coverage: You must have valid health insurance that covers the entire Schengen area, with coverage of at least €30,000.
- University degree: Provide certificates of your studies (diploma), training certificate, and any other relevant certificates (if any).
How to Apply for Estonia Freelance Visa
To apply for an Estonian digital nomad visa, follow these steps:
- Schedule an appointment with the nearest Estonian embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Complete the application form online, print a hard copy, and sign it.
- Collect all the required documents and submit them to the nearest Estonian embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Wait for a response from the authorities.
- Once you arrive in Estonia, apply for an E-Residency card.
What is E-Residency Card?
The E-Residency Card is a government-issued card that provides access to Estonia’s e-government services and business environment. It also enables online user verification. With an E-Residency Card, users can access a wider range of e-services and can manage their business from anywhere, including opening new businesses while working online only.
Portal for E-Residency: https://eresident.politsei.ee/
Can i extend Estonia freelance Visa?
It is not possible to extend a digital nomad visa beyond its initial 12-month period. However, while in Estonia, you can apply for another type of visa. Should you choose to apply for another digital nomad visa, it is important to note that your stay in Estonia cannot exceed an additional six months. After 18 months of staying in Estonia with a digital nomad visa, you will be required to leave the country.
If you wish to re-apply for a digital nomad visa while in Estonia, you must appear in person at the Police Border Guard Border and submit a new application.
Can i bring dependents in Estonia freelance visa?
Yes, it is possible to bring dependents with you if you have been granted an Estonian digital nomad visa. As the visa allows you to stay for 12 months, your dependents can also stay with you during this time. However, you will need to provide additional documents to prove that you have dependents who will be accompanying you during your stay in Estonia.